Tuesday 28 October 2008

Not Damaged

I visited my parents today. My dad had to drive us to the train stationas the VW garage are still proving not up to the task of fixing my car. As he drove I had the experience of being transported back to my adolescence as we drove past the house of the lady who gave me extra English tuition. It obviously worked as English Language was the one subject I passed in school.

My inadequacy in Engish was recognised at an early age. I was in special classes titled 'remedial' when I was in primary school. Which sort of sounds medieval judging by how we now seem desperate not to label children. This is not a rant about political correctness. I think the motives of politial correctness are sound.

I just think it is worth pointing out that as a child i know I was in a remedial class because I was not good at English. I didn't feel damaged labelled or marginalised by it. I liked being in a small class where we got to watch videos about Peregrine Falcons and other stuff.

Its adults that worry about this stuff. Not kids, they don't give a shit.

No comments: