Monday 17 October 2011

Not Guilty

After watching Russel Grant's divine dance on Strictly Come Dancing she declared that he was her 'guilty pleasure'. Presumably because she thinks he is a bit crap but fun to watch anyway. I think somebody may have said it about one of the novelty acts (which ones aren't?) on X-Factor but I kept dropping off in it so I couldn't say for certain.


I absolutely loathe this whole notion of guilty pleasures. What is there to be guilty about, seriously ? We all know Westlife and Steps and (insert any other manufactured pop band since the 80s) are basically crap. But considering the ammount of music they put out it would be a little odd surely not to find one record with a decent tune to it. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day after all.

I can't help but feel that this whole guilty pleasure thing is the last resort of the feeble minded. Like people who support Man United then apologise about it and make some tenuous link with Manchester to justify it. I much preferred the attitude of an old friend of mine who said 'screw you, I'll support who I like.'

So for the record I love Flying without wings by Westlife, Don't stop moving by S Club 7 and I loved Kylie even before the Guardian gave us the nod that it was OK again. I don't like any Steps songs, but I hear they are reforming so...fingers crossed.

No comments: