Sunday 12 June 2011

Five People I'm Happy to be Sharing the Planet With

This post is a result of a Facebook update where i said that David Simon is one of the premiere artists in this world. I then went on to say that Danny Baker was a genius and I am glad I am alive at the same time as him and this set me to thinking which five people I am glad to be alive at the same moment as them. So here is my list.

David Simon



For those who don't know him David Simon is the creator of The Wire. In my opinion, and many other people's, the greatest TV show ever. This itself would secure him a place on my list. But to add to this I have started watching Treme. A drama about post Katrina New Orleans. It is not overstating it to say that Treme is almost as good as The Wire.

I also admire him for the statement he made following the arrest of Felicia 'Snoop' Pearson, the brilliant but troubled star of The Wire. The statement here proves what an exceptional man he is.

Danny Baker


People saying 'the word genius is banded about too much' has become a cliche in it's own right but in Danny's case it is true. His wonderful style of broadcasting is a gift few are touched with. He mixes the wonderfully absurd with a depth of knowledge and understanding of what is funny that is simply breathtaking every week. I've included one of his finest moments here but just put Danny baker into Youtube, take your pick and you'll get a winner every time.



Stephen Fry


Where to begin. The most articulate, witty raconteur of his generation. He is one of the people who whenever I see he is on something I think 'brilliant'. He is always interesting and challenging and wonderful. The wonderful thing about being alive at the same time as him is to hear his comments on things that drive me to distraction hence the clip here of him calling out the journalists on the expenses brouhaha



Shane Warne



I adore cricket. There have been many great batsmen in the times I've watched cricket. I've seen Brian Lara, Viv Richards, Sachin Tendulkar and Andy Moles in that time. I've also seen Curtley Ambrose, Allan Donald and Tim Munton. But as good as these players were none of them could compare with the genius of Shane Warne. He did things that I did not know could exist in cricket before he came along. He was also good value off the field to.

My Dad

He's brilliant.

No comments: